Monday, January 18, 2010

JENAAE JACKSON - Miss Earth Jamaica 2009

By David Natanawan for Critical Beauty

Please tell us something about yourself, your full name, age, height, vital stats, where you came from, educational information, your interests and hobbies and other important facts about yourself.

My name is Jenaae Jackson, and I am nineteen years of age. I stand 5 feet 10 inches tall or 178 centimeters. Vital stats, 32-24-35. I am from the beautiful Caribbean island of “wood and water”, the birthplace of reggae music, Jamaica. I am a first-year college student, model, and entrepreneur. I enjoy volunteering and working with children, photography, fashion and traveling. Adventurous, and determined are words that describe me and I am beyond thrilled as to where Miss Earth's journey will take me upon my arrival in Manila.

Who influenced you to join your country’s national pageant prior to winning the title to represent your country at Miss Earth?

I was actually self-motivated. There was not one person in particular who encouraged me to enter prior to me winning the title. Miss Earth is a pageant that I have, for a long time admired and have wanted to participate.



How were you chosen to represent you country and what preparations have you done for the Miss Earth 2009 competition?

The Miss Earth Jamaica Organization did not have a national pageant. The selection was done at the executive level, using the international pageant judging criteria which includes overall appearance, beauty of the face, swimsuit fitness, poise and elegance, personality, environmental awareness and intelligence. The Miss Earth Jamaica organization has put in place a team of top industry professionals to assist me in preparing for the international competition. I undertake a physical regimen of fitness and nutrition training with personal trainer, Loleta Riley, receives PR and Communication guidance for press and media from Michelle McKoy of Carib Angels; and Catwalk Training from runway coach, Francisco Gomez. I am also working closely with my Fashion Designer and Wardrobe Stylist Valentino Omar of Genevieve Couture who is responsible for my competition wardrobe which consists of evening gowns and national costume, Francisco Azucar of Fashions by Azucar will provide cocktail dresses.

If you could choose among the four elements: earth, air, water or fire, what would you like to be and why?

Water best describes my personality. I'm tranquil, peaceful, and calm yet I can be spontaneous and assertive.

What is your fashion sense and style? Who is your style icon and why?

I love color, lots of bright vibrant colors. Reds, pinks, blues and greens, purples, teals. I like to be different, yet still very sophisticated, and feminine. I love nice prints and fabrics. Kim Kardashian is one of my style icons. I love her style!

What environmental platform do you want to pursue during the Miss Earth 2009 pageant and how would you help to pursue this platform?

My environmental platform is deforestation and I am spearheading a tree-planting campaign. I choose this issue for my campaign because I feel this is an area my country seriously lacks and would tremendously benefit. Although Jamaica possesses a very beautiful landscape, rich with greenery, deforestation is a serious issue that is slowly plaguing the island. Most of Jamaica's lowlands have been cleared for agriculture as well as for building and development. I believe that if people were more aware and educated on the subject, they would do their part. I will promote and teach my fellow Jamaican people how harmful and damaging deforestation is to our community and mother earth. I have pledged with the United Nations' "Billion Tree Campaign" and encourage others in joining me. I want to encourage Jamaica, and the world to keep our earth green and healthy, give back and plant a tree!



Are you a member of any environmental organization or animal rights protection in your country?

Yes, I have pledged with the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) - Billion Tree Campaign. As a part of my pledge on Saturday, October 17, 2009 I launched the Miss Earth Jamaica – “Plant for the Planet Kids Club” a innovative and fun program designed to educate youth ages 5 - 12 about the importance of tree planting and recycling.

Do you have any idea about the host country, Philippines? What are your impressions about the country? And what do you know about the Finals Night venue, the island of Boracay?

Yes, I have been learning about the Philippines. The finals night's venue is beautiful. Overall the Philippines appear to be very similar to Jamaica in terms of landscape and climate. Very hot, tropical with lots of trees, and lots of water. It’s like 7,107 little Jamaicas. How awesome!

Have you heard about the recent disaster brought by typhoons Ondoy (Ketsana) and Pepeng (Parma) in the Philippines? How do you feel about the tragedy that befell some part of the Philippines due to these typhoons?

I would like to give my deepest and most sincere condolences to the Filipino people and the people of all the countries affected by the recent tragedies. I personally know the effects and how Mother Nature’s wrath can put lives in complete disarray, and strain entire nations. However, the region's people are strong. It is only a matter of time, hard work, and aid from other nations working together as one that the country will completely recover and be back on its feet.

With the recent disaster that happened in the Philippines and other parts of the world, do you think Miss Earth pageant is still relevant in promoting environmental awareness all over the world?

Absolutely, the Miss Earth Organization's cause is more relevant now than ever. In the wake of this tragedy, I hope that people also see and learn from what its severe effects are telling us. For example in the Philippines, deforestation leads to soil erosion, which causes landslides and severe flooding. More than 300 dead, but not in vain. Let’s open our eyes and ears listen and learn from our mistakes.

What do you think is the biggest environmental problem that our planet Earth is experiencing today? And how would you do your share to prevent this problem?

Deforestation. That is why I choose it as my platform. It is not only a major problem in my country but in most forested countries all over the entire world.

If you win the Miss Earth title, how would you use your title to promote environmental awareness all over the world?

If I win the Miss Earth title, I would use my title to promote environmental awareness all over the world by educating people of the issues and the effects on our environments. At one point and time I did not know all the facts about climate change as I do now. Once I learned I changed. I don't believe people don't care, I believe people simply just don't know the entirety and power their everyday actions really have. We need to educate so we as a people can change



Which of the two would you choose and why? Beautiful or Smart.

Beautiful. Because someone who is truly beautiful is not just a pretty face but smart as well.

City or countryside?

City. I’m a busy, go city girl! However I would love to live in an eco-friendly city.

Money or fame?

Money. Because it’s green! LOL!

Blind or mute?

Mute. There are so many other ways to communicate; nothing can even come close to compensate for not being able to see.

Love life or beauty pageant crown?

Love life with a beauty pageant crown!

Lastly, what is your message to all the people reading this interview?

Thank you again for the support. The countdown begins. See you in Manila!


PHOTO CREDIT: Miss Earth Jamaica Organization